Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I was home all day yesterday and it was a day of good news, bad news in crafting. I wanted to try some new techniques I've seen online. Turns out I need to spend a lot of time on Youtube to find out how these things are ACTUALLY done. Mine didn't work out too well. First I smooshed and it was not good, then I sprayed Dylusions spray and I couldn't really see well in the box and the stencil wasn't down good so spray got under it. My next attempt was better. I added ink to paste and added it to a stencil. That is my favorite but it got under the tape on the stencil and messed up. I will do that again. It takes practice to learn these things so I'm not discouraged. It was fun just to play and it is a learning curve. I have learned that sometimes when you stamp over these backgrounds or add elements it does make it look better. Today both hubby and I got for our checkup at the doctors. I have one more nursing home to visit that I hadn't considered before but I want to be sure. Probably won't get there until tomorrow. Be kind to one another.






6 comments:

Colleen said...

And you know, the top picture you could die cut something...a word or even a butterfly and use it on a card...your efforts will not be wasted! It feels good to just play sometimes and practice the techniques! Good job, Brenda! And so happy to read that you have time to play and are in better spirits! Good luck with your net visit! Hugs!

Greta said...

I really love the first piece, Brenda! It would make a great background & you might try dry embossing it. I learned that from a friend & it can really make a wonderful effect. You can highlight the embossing by sponging on some ink--I start light & add if needed. Anyway, so glad you got to stay home & play. PS--I also discovered I can trim a piece with embossing paste--just lay it upside down on a piece of typing paper & it cuts fine in my trimmer.

Sharyn Polesel said...

Every once in a while I take a day and make backgrounds. Some of them work out and some don't, but it's always fun to play. I love your first one and think it will be wonderful when you layer it with die cuts and goodies. Hope you are feeling better now.

MaryH said...

Your experiments turned out quite nicely. I do see what you meant about the ink seepage though. I've not had success with spraying over the stencils any time I've tried it. That's why I just started making backgrounds! I like that much more. Good for you on hanging in there though. Looks to me like you're having fun and remember, you can always cut up the 'boo-boo-s' and make something else. I especially liked the look on #1. Good luck with the dr's visits & the exploring visit too. TFS & Hugs

Lisa said...

All of your backgrounds are beautiful!! I never have any luck with sprays and stencils....there is always seepage. But it sure is fun experimenting!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Brenda said...

I think your backgrounds look great Brenda! There always seems to be a learning curve to a lot of techniques and what looks easy usually isn't! lol Or at least it isn't for me. I think when you get something on top of your backgrounds, they will look fabulous. You can always hide the parts that you don't like or even cut off. So lets see those beautiful background on a card or two! Glad you had fun playing Brenda! Hugs, Brenda